Thursday, October 30, 2014

Broad City

I don't have cable in the pied-à-terre, so I have been watching a lot of Amazon Prime the past few months. Amazon Prime continually recommended that I watch Comedy Central's Broad City, but I resisted because stoner humor does not typically appeal to me. Because Broad City airs right after Workaholics, I thought that it would essentially be that show but with, you know, broads. 




I don't remember what inspired me to watch the first episode, but I quickly watched the entire first season and insisted that Brett watch it, too, so that he could understand all of the references I desperately wanted to make. This show is funny. I most enjoy the friendship between the two main characters, Ilana and Abbi. Their relationship never falls into trope--there are no love triangles, no shopping montages. Instead, Ilana and Abbi support one another and have fun together. This show passes the Bechdel test with flying colors. Also, I think I should just troll Jason Mantzoukas' IMDB page for ideas for shows to watch, because he is in many of my favorite things (The League, Broad City, Transparent). 

To whet your appetite: 




2 comments:

  1. 1) Bechdel test - like it.
    2) How do I watch Amazon Prime? On the computer? Through the DVD player/Hulu/Netflix box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have an Amazon Prime account? Whether you can watch it on the DVD player depends on which one you have. First, I would try downloading the Amazon Prime app on to your tablet (they have an Apple app, so hopefully they have one on your device as well). But otherwise, you can watch Amazon Prime on your computer. Just go to "Your Account," then "Your Amazon Prime Instant Video." I also believe the entire first season of Broad City is available on Comedy Central's website.

    ReplyDelete