Sunday, October 19, 2014

Daily Beauty Routine

Joanna Goddard's blog Cup of Jo has a recurring segment called Beauty Uniform, where she asks different women (and, most recently, herself) about their daily beauty routine. I always like reading these pieces because I find it interesting to learn how different women came to use the products they use and what they consider beautiful. So, because imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, I will borrow a few of her questions.

Do you wear make up? 

Yes, since early high school. 

What is your daily beauty routine?

I wash my face with Cetaphil. My mom has used it forever, and my mom has amazing skin.


I use a primer, usually Smashbox. The green of this primer negates some of my natural ruddiness (or attempts to).
Smashbox - Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer

I wore Bareminerals for years, but I switched to Benefit Big Easy over the summer. It has SPF 35 and goes on really well. I like how I can blend blush into it.

Benefit Cosmetics - The Big Easy Liquid To Powder SPF 35 Foundation

Speaking of blush: it is stereotypical, but I wear Nars--you know which one, don't make me type it.
NARS - Blush
Most days, I throw on a little eyeliner. My new favorites are Smashbox Always Sharp 3D liners. They sharpen to a point when you twist the lid, so they are always ready to make the thin line I prefer.

Smashbox - Always Sharp 3D Liner

Funny how much product can go into creating the illusion of a fairly natural look, amiright? 

Do you have any beauty splurges?

I treat myself to a gel manicure every few months. I consider this a splurge because I have the materials to give myself a gel manicure at home, and I generally have the patience to do it well. 

Do you have a game-changing beauty product?

I have recently started paying more attention to brow maintenance. I use Benefit's Gimme Brow most days now, and I think it has made a big difference in creating a more polished look for me. 

Benefit Cosmetics - Gimme Brow

Do you have a signature scent?

I have worn Chloe by Chloe since late college. For a long time, it was the most expensive thing I had ever purchased for myself.
Chloe - ChloƩ Eau de Parfum
When are times in your life that you've felt beautiful?

Because I used to have a job where I could dress very casually, it is really fun for me, and makes me feel very elegant and beautiful, to put on professional clothes and head out the door in the morning. 

Do you have any regrettable beauty trends you tried?

No. Although I am sure there are times in my life when my beauty routine has been better for my appearance or my skin health, I don't have any regrets. I am sure those pictures of me with supremely bushy eyebrows (of which there are many) will be fun to look at one day. 

Do you have an overall beauty philosophy?

Good makeup should make you feel comfortable and beautiful. And try a bold lip color every once in a while. 
Rocking a bold lip and a handsome date at my good friend's wedding this weekend.

1 comment: